Block Management Services
The role of a Managing Agent
The role of a managing agent today is a complex one and requires a professional approach. To carry out the role requires knowledge of landlord and tenant law, building construction, health and safety regulations, basic accounting and more. There are benefits of professional management which should be balanced against the fees which leaseholders will have to bear.
Benefits of using an Agent
- Professional managing agents will bring an organised approach to the administration and collection of service charges and reserve funds, planning timetables for redecoration and repairs as well as inspection and supervision of works.
- Our assessment of what must be done and when, will be independent of private interests and preferences and based solely upon our duty to keep the premises in good repair.
- The process of collecting funds and the responsibility for taking steps to recover unpaid charges will be removed from the individual directors of the RTM.
- A managing agent should be geared up to handle the time-consuming administration and handle it more efficiently through better facilities for storage and retrieval of records as well as the documentation essential for accounting purposes.
- Issues and disputes can be dealt with impartially and at an arm’s length to limit the animosity and division which could arise where personal issues become the business of neighbours and colleagues.
- An agent will distinguish between the needs and duties of the company under the Companies Acts and the needs and duties of the company in its separate role as Landlord and the relevant landlord and tenant legislation.
- Acquire competitive insurance rates to save the client money.
- Using an agent passes some of the responsibility for compliance with leases, laws and codes of practice to the agent BUT the directors of a RTM are responsible for setting policy and monitoring the work of the agent.
What qualifications should an Agent have?
Here at Housemartins, we are members of the RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) and accredited members of ARMA (Association of Residential Managing Agents). The advantages to our clients of us having membership of a recognised professional organisation are:
- members will have professional indemnity insurance to assist you if the agent has acted negligently;
- members will hold fidelity insurance in case a member of staff is found to have stolen monies;
- members will be checked on the way they hold monies collected on behalf of their clients, ie you; and
- members will be required to have a complaint handling procedure and access to an independent ombudsman service.
Why choose Housemartins Property Management?
- Personal and friendly administration
- Professional standards
- Robust common sense
- Transparent charges
- Management and surveying expertise under one roof
Our commitment to you
We are fully insured and adhere to the Service Charge Residential Management Code issued by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, to ensure competence, integrity, fairness, transparency and peace of mind to our clients.
For more information please visit our Property Management website.
Don’t just take our word for it, here’s what our clients are saying...
Thank you for the very thorough way you have conducted my homebuyers survey and for the helpful notes accompanying the report. This has brought about a satisfactory purchase arrangement, agreeable to both parties.
We made real headway with our dispute within a couple of days of Housemartins becoming involved.
Bill, East Sussex Flat Owner
Many thanks for your help and advice which I have found very helpful. I look forward in due course to working with you again.
Ms R, Bexhill
Thanks very much for your help and advice. We particularly appreciate the speed and efficiency of your service.
Thank you for your support yesterday, for all the work you have done, you were great!
Daphne, Company Director
Housemartins helped find the best solution and gave us honest and invaluable advice.
Just wanted to thank you both for the efficient process and great quality report – I will recommend you to my various friends who are currently house hunting too!
I just wanted to thank you for a great service you have provided. Highly recommended and wouldn’t hesitate to use you again.
We would like to thank you and the team for the great and very efficient service. We needed our house valuation completed urgently and you did just that. Definitely exceeded our expectations. Thanks for all the hard work.
I just wanted to thank you and your company for acting so quickly for us and we are very impressed with the way in which we have been communicated with and kept informed of what is going on and the professional and friendly way you do business. Thanks again and we will not hesitate to recommend you to our friends.
Trudy and Simon
A note to say many thanks to you for your excellent service and report.
I have written personally to Mr Gray to thank him for the speed and thoroughness of his report, and have been singing your firm’s praises ever since.
Thank you for being so reliable and helpful with my matters that you have been dealing with. Please also thank Melissa too, for her attention to detail and kind assistance.
We were very pleased to read John’s report. Please would you kindly pass on our thanks to him for all his help and the very informative and useful report. Many thanks to Housemartins for the firm’s kind attention.
Thank you for doing such a thorough job and taking the time out to discuss your findings with me.
Many thanks and appreciate all your efforts and time with this matter. I would have no issues with recommending both Lee and Housemartins to friends, work colleagues and family who may ever require a survey.